Centre Management Suite
Lion Yard Shopping Centre
St. Tibbs Row, Cambridge
|Monday||9am to 6pm|
|Tuesday||9am to 6pm|
|Wednesday||9am to 7pm|
|Thursday||9am to 6pm|
|Friday||9am to 6pm|
|Saturday||9am to 6pm|
|Sunday||11am to 5pm|
National Cupcake Week
Devised by British Baker Magazine nine years ago, National Cupcake Week takes place from 17th to 23rd September this year.
National Cupcake Week promotes and encourages bakers and foodies to enjoy these sweet treats, by either making their own or supporting bakeries, patisseries and shops that sell them.
Last year, bakers and cupcake lovers across the country produced a cacophony of iced delights, including Irn Bru flavoured cupcakes, edible cupcake bouquets and other exciting and unusual offerings! This year, we look forward to more taste sensations.
The first reference to a cupcake dates to 1796 when a recipe appeared in the American Cookery publication by Amelia Simmons. It referred to ‘a light cake to bake in small cups’. The term ‘cupcake’ was introduced in 1828 in Eliza Leslie’s Receipts Cookbook.
Before muffin tins were widely available, cupcakes were baked in individual pottery cups, ramekins or small pots. They, therefore, took their name from the cups they were baked in. The name remained and is now given to any small cake that is, approximately, the size of a teacup.
Vegan Cupcake Recipe
Increasing numbers are now choosing to follow vegetarian and vegan diets, which – while healthy – can limit your options when it comes to cupcakes and other sweet treats. But, don’t fret, with this vegan mouth-watering cupcake recipe, you won’t feel like you’re missing out!
(Makes 18 cupcakes)
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
300ml Almond or Coconut Milk
250g Plain Flour
200g Caster Sugar
½ tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
120ml Coconut Oil (Melted)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line and grease two bun tins with 18 paper cases.
- Put the vinegar and almond/coconut milk into a bowl and leave it to curdle for approximately 5 minutes.
- Then, in another bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a third bowl, whisk together the milk mixture, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the bun cases.
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for approximately 15 to 20 minutes until slightly golden and until the tops spring back when gently pressed. Cool and then ice (with an icing of your choice).
Have Your Cake and Eat It!
Lion Yard’s stores have an array of sweet treat related goodies to help you celebrate National Cupcake Week! Why not head to Flying Tiger Copenhagen, for example, to pick up an array of baking related paraphernalia? Or, if you’re not a keen baker but still enjoy indulging in a cupcake or two, head to one of our cafes or eateries to indulge; such as Jamaica Blue, EAT, Pret, Soboro or Millie’s Cookies.
Whether you decide to bake your own cupcakes or indulge in a pre-made treat, Lion Yard has everything you need to celebrate National Cupcake Week in style.