Centre Management Suite
Lion Yard Shopping Centre
St. Tibbs Row, Cambridge
|Monday||9am to 6pm|
|Tuesday||9am to 6pm|
|Wednesday||9am to 7pm|
|Thursday||9am to 6pm|
|Friday||9am to 6pm|
|Saturday||9am to 6pm|
|Sunday||11am to 5pm|
Libraries Week runs from 8th to 13th October and is a celebration of our much-loved libraries. In 2018, with a focus on wellbeing, libraries across the country will showcase how they bring communities together, combat loneliness, provide a space for reading and creativity and support people with their mental health.
Central Library, Cambridge
Lion Yard houses Cambridge’s Central Library. The Library is open every day; Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 6pm (closing an hour later at 7pm on Wednesdays), from 10am to 6pm on Saturdays and from midday to 4pm on Sundays.
As well as housing a wide selection of books, reference material and other media, the Library provides a range of facilities and services that target different community needs, including:
- Digital skills sessions, aimed at different groups – such as people looking to brush up on their job skills, or parent and toddler educational and e-safety sessions
- Regular Rhymetime and Storytime sessions, helping parents and carers to improve their children’s literacy
- An Adult Carers Service – providing information and advice on learning and work for adults
- A Youth Support Service
Rhymetime is dedicated to children up to 18 months of age and takes place at the Central Library most days. It’s the opportunity to bring your little ones along to enjoy a series of songs and rhymes.
The sessions take place from Tuesday to Saturday. They are free to attend, but donations are welcome.
Storytime takes place at Central Library on Mondays from 10.30am to 11am and on Sundays from 3pm to 3.30pm and is appropriate for children from the ages of 18 months to 5 years.
These sessions allow you to take your child/children along for half an hour of stories and colouring and/or craft activities. There’s no need to book and storytimes are free!
Adult Careers Service
The Adult Careers Service at the Library, provides information, advice and guidance to help you make decisions on learning, training and employment.
The service allows you to:
- Browse job profiles: find out what job is right for you
- Skills health check: use the Library’s assessment facilities to find out what kind of jobs could suit your skillset
- Find a course: look for courses and learning providers in the local area
- Get employment: get advice on the various stages of job hunting, including how to improve interview techniques and write an effective CV. You can find your first job, get back into work or change your career direction!
Engage in the Afternoon Knitting Group
On Mondays, from 2pm to 3.30pm, you can visit the Central Library and take part in their knitting group. It’s an opportunity for knitters and crocheters to come together to exchange ideas and experiences. New enthusiasts are always welcome. This activity is free.
To find out more about the above services, and other free activities, head to the Central Library in Lion Yard. You can also visit the official Libraries Week website at: librariesweek.org.uk or follow them on Twitter: @librariesweek.